An initiated disciple of Swami Virajanandaji Maharaj, Swami Swananda joined the Ramakrishna Order at Belur Math in 1947 and received Sannyasa vows in 1957 from Swami Shankaranandaji Maharaj.
He was the Head of Patna, Saradapitha (Belur), Berkeley (USA), New Delhi, and Mayavati centres. Besides, he served at our Cherrapunji Ashrama, Rangoon Society, and the Headquarters Office. His last three years were spent at the Varanasi Home of Service.
His unassuming and austere nature, simplicity, and scholarly pursuits earned him the respect and admiration of the entire monastic community.